When you quit drinking, it can be hard to go out with friends. Most people these days want to “meet up for a drink”. So, what happens when you aren’t drinking anymore? You may not want to miss out on all the fun, but you also don’t want to be tempted to drink again.
Many alcohol rehab centers will help provide you with tools to quit drinking, but they may not give you other fun alternatives to meet up with your friends. You may still want to see your co-workers or friends after work during happy hour, but your sobriety is your top priority. Here are some ideas to make going out fun without alcohol:
- Ask friends to do a fun activity that is actually good for you. Try taking an exercise class, yoga class, going for a walk or jog in the park, a bike ride or another fitness activity that will get your heart pumping. You’ll feel so healthy, neither of you will be tempted by a drink.
- Pick up a new hobby with your friends. What is something both of you have always wanted to try but never had time to do? It could be taking a cooking class, painting, pottery, sports, knitting, or any creative and fun hobby.
- You can still go out to dinner or get food for happy hour. Simply head to a place that doesn’t serve alcohol, so it won’t be an issue for either of you.
- Who said happy hour has to be food or an activity? Take the time to go shopping! Pick out something for each other while you’re at it.
- Change your happy hour from drinks to coffee or tea. Head to a local coffee shop after work to give yourself a little fuel for the evening or have a cup of tea to wind down after a long day of work.
Remember, it can be easier said than done. If you have a hard time being around alcohol, ask your friends to do other activities and skip going to happy hour if drinks are being served freely. Don’t do anything until you feel you are ready to ensure you stay sober.
You’re not alone. Hundreds of thousands of people suffer from alcohol abuse and luckily, lots of Americans are choosing to become and stay sober which means there are more and more sober activities available. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), alcohol use causes 88,000 deaths per year. If you need help, make sure to call one of the many alcohol rehab centers and see what benefits rehab would have for you.
What other fun happy hour activities do you love to do that don’t involve alcohol? Share with us by commenting below!
Author Bio: Nicole Allen is a freelance writer and educator based in the Michigan and believes that her writing is an extension of her career as a tutor since they both encourage learning and discussing new things. When she isn’t writing, you might find Nicole running, hiking, or swimming. She’s participated in several 10K races and hopes to compete in a marathon one day.